MDS Admission in India
MDS or Master of Dental Surgery is a specialized area of medical science that concentrates only on the oral, jaw, dental section and other facial. MDS is a three years long program. Candidates with a Bachelor's degree in Dental Science and in special cases, 1-year internship experience can only apply for this course.
MDS Admission 2023 is entirely entrance examination based. The prominent entrance examinations of Dental courses are NEET MDS, AIIMS PG, AIPGDEE, etc. The entrance examinations can be of state-level or national level. The average annual MDS course fee varies depending upon the type of institute the candidate is applying for. In the case of government institutes, the fee starts from INR 12,000 and in the case of private colleges, that goes up to INR 17,00,000.
Master of Dental Surgery: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Master’s degree|
|Full-Form||Master of Dental Surgery|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in BDS, Entrance test score|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entrance based|
|Course Fee||Government: Approx INR 2,000 Private: Approx INR 17,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Private: Fortis Healthcare , MAX Healthcare , Care Hospitals, Apollo Hospitals, Dental clinics, Nursing Homes Government: Indian Council of Medical Research, AIIMS, State Hospitals, Health Centers, Public Health Centers|
|Job Positions||Dentist/ Dental surgeon in clinics and hospitals Dental Hygienist Academic Lecturer Clinical Research Scientist General Practitioner|
Master of Dental Surgery: What is it About?
Dental Science is a specialized section of medical science. Master of Dental Surgery is a dedicated course of specialized study.
- It concentrates on oral and dental hygiene, anatomy, problems, cure, prevention, intervention, and rehabilitation.
- The course is curated emphasizing the in-depth knowledge of the detailed topics related to oral and dental health and hygiene extensively.
- In a country like India where oral problems and ailments are a constant matter of concern, higher studies in dentistry is clearly a good career choice. It involves the population and public health aspects as well as children.
- This vast field of study involves several specializations due to the elaborate nature of the study.
- Candidates must choose from the list of specializations according to their choice. He or she will be progressing his or her future study on this specialization only.
Why Study Master of Dental Surgery?
Master of Dental Surgery is the final level of professional study that involves gaining professional knowledge and skills that are important for the medical branch of dentistry.
- Aspirants get in-depth knowledge as well as hands-on experience in solving real-life medical problems associated with oral and dental ailments through various specializations.
- This is a vast field of study, so to start your career as an expert on this topic, a student needs to achieve professional proficiency by undergoing laboratory training, OPD duties, internship, practical classes, seminars, lectures, etc.
- Candidates, who wish to build a career in the medical field of dental and oral specialty, should pursue this course to be affiliated as an expert.
- At the final examination, students have to sit for a written test, submit a thesis, clear practical exams, and give a viva-voce.
- After completion of the study, candidates get to start their career as the experts in Dental Surgery, with specialization of their choice.
- Job opportunities like Dental Surgeon, Dental Hygienist, Academic Lecturer, Clinical Research Scientist, General Practitioner are the most popular options available for an Master of Dental Surgery candidate.
- In the future, Ph.D. in Dental Surgery is a promising step for MDS candidates. It will help in increasing the value and the extent of career prospects to a great extent.
Master of Dental Surgery: Admission Process
Admission to the master’s degree program of Dental Surgery is purely based on entrance examinations.
- Colleges can conduct different examinations or can rely upon the scores achieved in any all India entrance examinations.
- Entrance examinations can be of either state or national level depending upon the consideration and rules of any college.
- After securing a valid mark or score, you will have to choose their choice of colleges at the time of counseling.
MDS Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for admission to the MDS course are as follows:
- Have passed Bachelor of Dental Science from an MCI affiliated and recognized Dental college of India.
- Have scored a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate.
- Candidates with a 2 year long PG Diploma in Dental Surgery, as recognized by the Dental Council of India, are also eligible to apply for this course.
- As additional criteria, colleges like Manipal College of Dental Science also demand a one-year internship after successful completion of BDS as their prerequisite to admission in the Master of Dental Surgery course.
Colleges for Admission in MDS or Master of Dental Surgery