MDS or Master of Dental Surgery is a specialized area of medical science that concentrates only on the oral, jaw, dental section and other facial. MDS is a three years long program. Candidates with a Bachelor's degree in Dental Science and in special cases, 1-year internship experience can only apply for this course.
MDS Admission 2023 is entirely entrance examination based. The prominent entrance examinations of Dental courses are NEET MDS, AIIMS PG, AIPGDEE, etc. The entrance examinations can be of state-level or national level. The average annual MDS course fee varies depending upon the type of institute the candidate is applying for. In the case of government institutes, the fee starts from INR 12,000 and in the case of private colleges, that goes up to INR 17,00,000.
Master of Dental Surgery: Course Highlights
||Master of Dental Surgery
||Minimum 50% in BDS, Entrance test score
||Merit and Entrance based
||Government: Approx INR 2,000 Private: Approx INR 17,00,000
|Top Recruiting Companies
||Private: Fortis Healthcare , MAX Healthcare , Care Hospitals, Apollo Hospitals, Dental clinics, Nursing Homes Government: Indian Council of Medical Research, AIIMS, State Hospitals, Health Centers, Public Health Centers
||Dentist/ Dental surgeon in clinics and hospitals Dental Hygienist Academic Lecturer Clinical Research Scientist General Practitioner
Master of Dental Surgery: What is it About?
Dental Science is a specialized section of medical science. Master of Dental Surgery is a dedicated course of specialized study.
- It concentrates on oral and dental hygiene, anatomy, problems, cure, prevention, intervention, and rehabilitation.
- The course is curated emphasizing the in-depth knowledge of the detailed topics related to oral and dental health and hygiene extensively.
- In a country like India where oral problems and ailments are a constant matter of concern, higher studies in dentistry is clearly a good career choice. It involves the population and public health aspects as well as children.
- This vast field of study involves several specializations due to the elaborate nature of the study.
- Candidates must choose from the list of specializations according to their choice. He or she will be progressing his or her future study on this specialization only.
Why Study Master of Dental Surgery?
Master of Dental Surgery is the final level of professional study that involves gaining professional knowledge and skills that are important for the medical branch of dentistry.
- Aspirants get in-depth knowledge as well as hands-on experience in solving real-life medical problems associated with oral and dental ailments through various specializations.
- This is a vast field of study, so to start your career as an expert on this topic, a student needs to achieve professional proficiency by undergoing laboratory training, OPD duties, internship, practical classes, seminars, lectures, etc.
- Candidates, who wish to build a career in the medical field of dental and oral specialty, should pursue this course to be affiliated as an expert.
- At the final examination, students have to sit for a written test, submit a thesis, clear practical exams, and give a viva-voce.
- After completion of the study, candidates get to start their career as the experts in Dental Surgery, with specialization of their choice.
- Job opportunities like Dental Surgeon, Dental Hygienist, Academic Lecturer, Clinical Research Scientist, General Practitioner are the most popular options available for an Master of Dental Surgery candidate.
- In the future, Ph.D. in Dental Surgery is a promising step for MDS candidates. It will help in increasing the value and the extent of career prospects to a great extent.
Master of Dental Surgery: Admission Process
Admission to the master’s degree program of Dental Surgery is purely based on entrance examinations.
- Colleges can conduct different examinations or can rely upon the scores achieved in any all India entrance examinations.
- Entrance examinations can be of either state or national level depending upon the consideration and rules of any college.
- After securing a valid mark or score, you will have to choose their choice of colleges at the time of counseling.
MDS Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for admission to the MDS course are as follows:
- Have passed Bachelor of Dental Science from an MCI affiliated and recognized Dental college of India.
- Have scored a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate.
- Candidates with a 2 year long PG Diploma in Dental Surgery, as recognized by the Dental Council of India, are also eligible to apply for this course.
- As additional criteria, colleges like Manipal College of Dental Science also demand a one-year internship after successful completion of BDS as their prerequisite to admission in the Master of Dental Surgery course.
Colleges for Admission in MDS or Master of Dental Surgery
D.Y Patil Medical College is a medical institution established by the D.Y Educational Society, Kohlapur (a Deemed University). Established in the year 2005 the college offers courses in the medical field including MBBS at graduate level and MD/MS/PG Diploma at post graduate level. As a constituent institution of D.Y Patil University the college is accredited by NAAC and recognized by Medical Council of India (MCI).
Bharati Vidyapeeth University Medical College & Hospital, Sangli or BVDU Medical College, Sangli is a Medical college located in Sangli, Maharashtra. This institute is the constituent college of Bharati Vidyapeeth.
Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences “Deemed To Be University”, Karad is located in Western Maharashtra, India. University is accredited by various accrediting agencies for its quality sustenance, enrichment, and enhancement in academics and healthcare services.
Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences (Deemed to be University) was granted the status of Deemed to be University by University Grants Commission, on 24th May, 2005.
SMBT Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre (SMBT Medical College Nashik) is a newly established private medical college that was founded in the year 2014. The college is registered with the Medical Council of India.
The Mahatma Gandhi Mission Medical College Aurangabad was established in the year 1990. It has grown into a research university. The college is affiliated to the MGM Institute of Health Sciences, which is a Deemed University, located at Navi Mumbai.
Jai Hind College is a college in Mumbai, India, affiliated with the University of Mumbai. The college was established in 1948, just after independence, by a small group of teachers who were displaced from D. J. Science College of Karachi.
Hassaram Rijhumal College of Commerce and Economics, commonly known as HR College, is located in Churchgate, Mumbai. It is run by the Hyderabad National Collegiate Board and is affiliated with the University of Mumbai.
Lala Lajpat Rai College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai is one of the oldest and best educational institutes in India offering degree programs in Arts, Commerce, and Science. It was established in the year 1959 by the Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial Trust.
K. C. College, in Mumbai, India is an educational institution that provides Science, Arts, and Commerce degrees.
The Wilson College, set up in 1832 in Mumbai, is one of India’s oldest colleges; its foundation precedes that of the University of Mumbai, to which it is affiliated, by 25 years. It was awarded an A rating by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council in 2005.
Mithibai College of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Science & Amruthben Jivanlal College of Commerce and Economics is a college affiliated with the University of Mumbai. The college was established in 1961.
Sophia College for Women is an undergraduate women’s college established in 1941 by the Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It is affiliated with the University of Mumbai. The governing body of The Society for the Higher Education of Women in India runs the college.
K. P. B. Hinduja College of Commerce is a college in Charni Road, Mumbai in India. It was established in 1974 and has a student strength of 6000 and a strength of teachers of 105.
Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics is an affiliated and constituent college of the University of Mumbai. The college was established in 1964 by Shri Vile Parle Kelavani Mandal.
Smt. Mithibai Motiram Kundnani College of Commerce & Economics is a private educational institution, located in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. It is affiliated with Mumbai University and offers a variety of courses in the field of commerce.
Indira Institute of Business Management, Navi Mumbai was founded in the year 2008 with an aim to establish global alliances for creating world-class leaders and to inculcate a value-based system in the society.
Dr. Vithalrao Vikhe Patil Medical College was established at Vilad Ghat, Ahmednagar in 2004. The College offers undergraduate course in Medicine (MBBS) with an intake of 150 students per year. The institute is recognized by Medical Council of India, New Delhi in December, 2008 and is affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik.
SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Centre were established in the year 2004 by the SRM group. It is a part of the SRM Institute of Science and Technology.
NIMS Medical College and Hospital was established in the year 2004 as per MCI norms. The recognition was given for MBBS degree by MCI in the year 2009. It is a constituent College of NIMS University.
Pacific Medical College & Hospital is a unit of Tirupati Balaji Educational Trust.
American International Institute of Medical Sciences, Bedwas is a College & Institute in Rajasthan. It was established in 2016 and the institute is affiliated to Rajasthan University of Health Sciences.
Geetanjali Medical College is a private medical college located in the city of Udaipur, Rajasthan. The college is attached to the Geetanjali Hospital and affiliated with the Geetanjali University.
The Ananta Charitable Educational Society, Udaipur proposes to establish a state-of-art medical college and a well equipped hospital at Rajsamand, Rajasthan in the Name of Ananta Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre.
Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute is an on-campus constituent college of Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth (Deemed University), Pondicherry under the Faculty of Medicine and ranks 23rd among Medical Institutions in India as per NIRF 2018.
Sri Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences was born in the year 2006 with a vision to establish a multispecialty hospital in Agaram Village of Puducherry.
Sri Venkateswara Medical College Hospital and Research Centre (SVMCH&RC) is a private medical college and hospital located in Puducherry, India. The institution is recognized by the Medical Council of India, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of India, and the Government of Puducherry. It is affiliated with Pondicherry University.